Fire destroys garage at Taylor’s Exxon

Amanda Clark, Graphic Staff Writer

Fire destroys garage at Taylor’s Exxon

Fire fighters work hard to contain a fire in a garage at Taylor’s Exxon in Nashville. The fire started last Wednsday morning after a bulb broke and caused a flash fire. One employee was burned in the fire. (Graphic photo by Amanda Clark)
A Taylor’s Exxon employee was injured during a fire at the business last Wednesday morning.

According to Chris Bissette, Nash County Fire Marshal, an employee, whose name was not released, was working on the fuel system of a vehicle when he dropped a work light. Bissette said when the bulb broke, it gave a quick electrical flash, causing a flash fire.

“He was burned,” Bissette said. “He had about 30 percent burns on his body.”

“(The fire) just spread very rapidly,” Bissette added.

The employee was taken to Nash General Hospital and then transferred to the Chapel Hill Burn Center.

Bissette said the fire was quickly contained.

“It went very well,” he said. “The fire department did a great job. They contained it to that building.”

Bissette said the garage portion of the building was a total loss but that it was possible an office could be salvageable.

“He’s got some things he can save out of there but overall it’s a loss,” Bissette said.

Two cars were in the garage at the time of the fire and both were destroyed. One car was a Nash County Sheriff’s vehicle, a 2009 Dodge Charger.

Responding fire departments included Nashville, West Mount, Red Oak, Coopers and Spring Hope.