ROCKY MOUNT -- Cana Shrock has built an impressive resume' during her softball career at Nash Central High School -- but she showcased her game at a statewide level during last month's Powerade North Carolina State Games.
Shrock, who is entering her senior campaign at Nash Central, was part of the Region 1 Team that won the championship at the annual event, which was staged in Charlotte.
In the final on the campus of the University of North Carolina-Charlotte, Region 1 secured a crown-clinching decision over Region 5.
"Cana was one of the best players on the team,'' said one parent. "She did a great job.''
The club's roster consisted of players from Down East and above. Rocky Mount Academy's Katie Oliver was also on the team, as were the trio of Ragan Holloman, Laine Barefoot and Chelsea Roberson from nearby Louisburg High School in Franklin County.
Region 1 went 1-1 in pool play but saved its best work for the tournament portion of the event. In the finale, Region 1 edged Region 5 by a 4-3 margin.
During the three elimination games, Region 1 outscored its foes by a combined total of 12-6.
Shrock is a multi-sport standout at Nash Central who was selected as the school's 2018-19 Female Athlete of the Year. She comes from an athletic family as her older brother, Noah, pitched at Central and is now a member of the baseball team at North Carolina Wesleyan College.
The complete Region 1 roster from the Powerade North Carolina State Games Softball Tournament is as follows:
• Rylee Myers, Rosewood HS
• Alyssa Smothers, Rosewood HS
• Alana Scott, Bear Grass Charter
• Emilee Perry, Bear Grass Charter
• Addison Dotson, Bear Grass Charter
• Hannah Pippins, Edenton Holmes
• Chelsea Roberson, Louisburg
• Laine Barefoot, Louisburg
• Ragan Holloman, Louisburg High School
• Mackenzie Amodeo, Rosewood HS
• Laine Marak, Rosewood HS
• Hailey Bunting, Camden County
• Katie Oliver, Rocky Mount Academy
• Cana Shrock, Nash Central
• Head Coach -- Ricky Stallings, Perquimans High School
• Assistant Coach -- J.P. Pippins, Edenton Holmes High School
• Assistant Coach -- Shay Campbell, Rosewood High School
Pictured (Above): TOPPING THE STATE. Nash Central High School's Cana Shrock (wearing hat on top row) was a standout for the Region 1 Softball Team at the annual North Carolina Powerade State Games, which were held last month in Mecklenburg County. (Photo Submitted)