RIGHT BACK AT YA. Nash Central High School No. 2 Singles Player Austin Luper smashes a forehand return as part of his team's home victory Monday against Louisburg. (Graphic photos by Geoff Neville)
ROCKY MOUNT -- When Nash Central traveled to Louisburg last Wednesday, the weather was so cold and windy that the teams agreed to suspend play after singles competition -- and with the visiting Bulldogs already clinching the team victory by a 5-1 score.
Conditions were much more favorable for Monday's rematch at the NCHS Courts, but the result was still the same.
Nash Central took four of the six singles matches and swept the doubles on its way to defeating the Warriors by a 7-2 margin in non-conference boys tennis action.
Former Bulldog great Turner Votipka sat in as Central's head coach as usual skipper Frank Poyer was unavailable due to a family commitment.
Nash Central No. 1 Singles Cameron Johnson, taking over at the position for his graduated brother (Chandler), rolled to a convincing 6-0, 6-0 decision over Louisburg's Josh Forsyth.
Central's Austin Luper played an entertaining match with Louisburg's Reed Wheless at No. 2 Singles.
The first set was even at five games apiece before Luper closed out the set with consecutive game victories.
Luper then swept the second set en route to a 7-5, 6-0 triumph.
No. 3 Singles was also tight as Central's Nagee Wilkins dropped the first set before rallying to edge Louisburg's Max Jones by a 3-6, 6-0 (10-6) total.
Louisburg's Gustavo Osorio (No. 4) and Destin Hendrix (No. 5) earned singles victories via the tie-breaker route, but Central's Israel Brown gave his club a 4-2 cushion heading into the doubles with a decision at No. 6 Singles.
Nash Central was a winner in each doubles match thanks to the combined efforts of Johnson-Luper (No. 1), Wilkins-Brown (No. 2) and Elijah Brown-Kesha Patel (No. 3).
Complete results from the match were as follows:
at NCHS Courts
Nash Central 7,
• No. 1 Singles -- Cameron Johnson (Nash Central) def. Josh Forsyth 6-0, 6-0
• No. 2 Singles -- Austin Luper (Nash Central) def. Reed Wheless 7-5, 6-0
• No. 3 Singles -- Najee Wilkins (Nash Central) def. Max Jones 3-6, 6-0 (10-6)
• No. 4 Singles -- Gustavo Osorio (Louisburg) def. Isaiah Hernandez 6-7, 7-5 (10-7)
• No. 5 Singles -- Destin Hendrix (Louisburg) def. Elijah Brown 6-3, 1-6 (10-4)
• No. 6 Singles -- Israel Brown (Nash Central) def. Wilson Gallagher-Smith 6-3, 6-0
• No. 1 Doubles -- Johnson-Luper (Nash Central) def. Wheless-Jones 8-5
• No. 2 Doubles -- Wilkins-Israel Brown (Nash Central) def. Osorio-Forsyth 8-1
• No. 3 Doubles-- Elijah Brown-Kesha Patel (Nash Central) def. Gallagher-Smith-Spencer Dickerson 9-7