|County stars shine in pool
|GOLDSBORO -- Once again, Nash County will be well-represented at the states following a strong performance at last Saturday's Class 3-A East Regional Swim Meet.
BRONZE MEDALIST. Nash Central High School's Rebecca Johnson claimed a third-place finish in the Girls 500 Freestyle at last Saturday's Class 3-A Regional Swim Meet, which was held in Goldsboro. (Photo Submitted)
Top-12 finishers from the regionals qualify for this weekend's state event, which will be held in Huntersville.
Nash Central's qualifiers are Rebecca Johnson, Justin Murray, Tyler Leggins, Brandon Atkins, Max Sherard and Cody Strickland, while Southern Nash will feature Kaitlin Williams, Victoria Hardy, Brittany Mitchell and Brittany Alford.
Listed are the results from those two schools from regional action:
· Justin Murray -- 4th in 50 Free (23.13) and 7th in 100 Free (52.27)
· Tyler Leggins -- 4th in 100 Breast (1:04.22) and 11th in 200 IM (2:22.51)
· Brandon Atkins -- 9th in 500
Free (5:40.24) and 14th in 200 IM (2:22.79)
· Max Sherard -- 7th in 100 Fly (1:04.00) and 13th in 500 Free (6:00.75)
· 200 Medley Relay of Brandon Atkins, Tyler Leggins, Justin Murray and Cody Strickland (7th at 1:54.12)
· 200 Free Relay of Max Sherard, Exum Toney, Taylor Keel and Tyler Leggins (17th at 1:48.47)
· 400 Free Relay of Cody Strickland, Max Sherard, Brandon Atkins and Justin Murray (8th at 3:48.40)
· Cody Strickland -- 24th in 50 Free (25.11) and 21st in 100 Free (56.85)
· Taylor Keel -- 17th in 100 Fly (1:08.78)
· Rebecca Johnson -- 12th in 200 IM at 2:34.93 and 3rd in 500 Free at 5:42.89
· Emily Brown -- 17th in 100 Back at 1:14.50 and 27th in 200 IM at 2:45.05
· Chelsey McKeel -- 24th in 100 Breast at 1:25.28 and 23rd in 500 Free at 6:44.43
· Kimberli Silveri -- 21st in 50 Free at 29.81
· 200 Medley Relay of Emily Brown, Chelsey McKeel, Rebecca Johnson and Kimberli Silveri (18th at 2:16.37)
· 200 Free Relay of Emily Brown, Chelsey McKeel, Rebecca Johnson and Kimberli Silveri (22nd at 2:01.26)
· 400 Free Relay of Emily Wayland, Emerald Bunn, Stephanie Jones and Kimberli Silveri (23rd at 4:49.71)
· Kaitlin Williams -- 6th in 50 Free and 5th in 100 Free
· Victoria Hardy -- 5th in 200 IM and 3rd in 100 Breast
· Brittany Mitchell -- 13th in 500 Free
SN's 200 Medley Relay and Free foursomes qualified for the states as part of the Ladybirds' 101-point regional effort.
February 07, 2007 at 12:00am
I think the Graphic does a great job covering sports for the public schools. Also see a lot of articles on the Mudcats and Hurricanes. But why is it the pprivate schools are being omitted receiving no coverage at all. Rocky Mount Academy, Faith Christian and Falls Road all field competitive teams in their repective divisions. RMA boys basketball is currently 23-3 with one of the losses being to NCHSAA # 4 ranked Cherryville High School. Faith Christian girls basketball is 18-1 and Falls Road girls basketball won the state championship in the Christian schools classification last season.
Both Rocky Mount and Faith Christian field competitive baseball teams as well and all three schools have students from the Nashville area as well as the Graphic in their school libraries.
It seems as if Louisburg College sports, the Carolina Hurricanes and the Mudcats can receive coverage then the private schools should have their games covered as well.